PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Friday, September 2, 2011

The Longest Project EVER!

This was the project that would never end! And although I'm happy to be done; I'm also a bit sad. The Red Robin got sold last weekend and now I kinda miss her.


I picked her up late last winter in a small town thrift store. She was the very first purchase when starting my new adventure into furniture painting. And I actually remembered to take a before pic! She had good bones but needed some work. The drawers were solid wood but two of them needed to be reinforced with some wood glue and another had to be completely rebuilt with a new bottom and more glue...thanks hubby :-)

If you look closely at the veneer on the bottom of the dresser you can see where it was bubbling up terribly. It was truly beyond repair. So I did what I've done so many times before...I searched other blogs for help. I found instructions on how to remove the veneer with a moist towel, a very hot steamy iron and a paint scrapper. It worked like a charm! And since I was painting her anyway you could never tell!!!


I painted her using Annie Sloan chalk paint in Emperor's Silk. When the paint first goes on it has a pink hue. I was a little nervous that it would stay too pink but as always I'm never disappointed with this paint. And when I added the protective wax the red color became even more rich.


I went to Hobby Lobby to find some new drawer knobs. As you can see from the before pic she was missing some pulls when I got her. For those of you who may not be aware, Hobby Lobby is a great resource for drawer knobs and pulls. They have a huge selection and some really unique items. Also, they tend to go on sale for 1/2 price every three weeks or so.


Here is Miss Red Robin in her finished state and ready for the taking. I was so happy to be done with this one. But along the way she started to feel like a girlfriend sitting in the corner of the workshop just watching all the other projects come and go. I'm glad she's off to a new home where hopefully she will enjoy her new life!

I'll be linking to a few parties this week. Check them out!

Furniture Feature Fridays

Photobucket



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice! I didn't know you could pull off veneer so easily...I often don't buy a piece with veneer like that because I don't know how to fix it!

Yvette @ AquaSeventy6 said...

I love it! It looks fantastic!

Bunny Jean said...

I really like that red! I can see why it sold so fast.

I used to get all my knobs at HL I really miss that store after moving back to Ca. They had the best sales all the time.

I am glad I found your blog, and am now a follower :)

xoxo Bunny Jean
Home to Wednesday's Bunny Hop Party!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love the red. Haven't used that color yet. Glad she went to a good home. Thanks for sharing at Wow.

alexandraK said...

Did you use dark wax or clear on this piece? It looks like dark. It turned out great! Love that red!

Unknown said...

Hello. I love the dresser. I have a buffet. That I have been wanting to do. Totally a new y. But that Red would be perfect!!! Any suggestions for me!!!

Post a Comment